Friday, September 23, 2016

The Code

The Code | © Literary Junkie
Jason hung there, lifeless bound by leather belts on two posts, as the sun shone down on his aching body. The days were coming and going so much he'd lost count. He'd screamed until his lungs seemed to stop working. His breaths came quick and slow.

"Give us the code and we'll let you go."

Like a true soldier, Jason hung there with his head down and knees buckled without uttering a word. His mind was a steel trap and it would take everything they've got to crack it.

The two buff men huffed at the bay of the swamp. "This could get a lot worse if you don't give us the code."

"I'll die before I give up my life's work."

"Have it your way," the man said. "But, you're going to give us the code. You may think your little game is going to work but we're just getting started. Soon your flesh will begin to look like filet mignon to the swamp creatures or the vultures, whichever gets to you first. And this time, you won't have us around to fight them off. That'll be agonizing. I know you don't want that."

"Give us the code and we'll let you go."

Like a true soldier, Jason hung there with his head down and knees buckled without uttering a word. His mind was a steel trap and it would take everything they've got to crack it.

The two buff men huffed at the bay of the swamp. "This could get a lot worse if you don't give us the code."

"I'll die before I give up my life's work."

"Have it your way," the man said. "But, you're going to give us the code. You may think your little game is going to work but we're just getting started. Soon your flesh will start to look like filet mignon to the swamp creatures. And this time, you won't have us around to fight them off. It'll be an agonizing death. I know you don't want that."

"Yeah, you can hardly stand now. Give us the code and we'll let you go."

With grit and strength, Jason lifted his head. "Do you think I'm stupid? You'll get the code and leave me for dead. You have no idea who I am. I've had men hang me over skyscrapers for the code who make the two of you look like Mother Theresa. People have shot me, stabbed and beaten until I've laid eyes on the white light. Butt like the others, you won't kill me. I'm worth more to you alive than dead. If I die, the code dies with me. Then, where would you be? Back to eating canned meat on molded bread in a rundown dirty efficiency apartment." He stood on his two feet for the first time in days. "Now either you kill me now or let me go. You're not getting anything out of me."

The tall man moved closer with the gun pointed at Jason's temple. "I'm going to enjoy putting a bullet in your head as soon as I get the word."


"You may enjoy it. But, once I'm gone say goodbye to your cushy life." A cackling laugh escaped from his very soul so loud the bird flew away in a stampede. "This has been going on long enough. I'm willing to die for the code. You'll never get it. I promise you that."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.