Monday, February 22, 2016

Out for Blood

©LiteraryJunkie
Three men locked in a dark room with only one source of light. They had fearful eyes, handcuffed to a steel bar mounted on the edge of the small square table. One man sat in a chair at the table across from the handcuffed man and the other towered over him.

"Tell us how you did it." The detective slammed his hand on the table with so much force it sent the man's hot coffee flying to the floor.

"I-I told you I didn't do it."

"Don't feed me that crap. Do you think I'm a fool? It was you, Dave. There was no sign of forced entry. The alarm was still on. There wasn't anything missing. It couldn't have been anyone else. You gutted her like a fish and now you're lying to my face. You better speak up right now or I will do to you what you did to your wife."

"Wait a second, Rich. This is not how I conduct an interrogation."

"Then step out of the room. I want to hear him say it."

The man stood by the door. His hand rested on the doorknob. Still, he remained in the small room.

"I'm telling the truth. I loved Hope. I loved everything about her. She was my world. If you listen to me you would know who did this. It was those things. For the last year, we've been making reports about them around our house. Go pull the records to see for yourself."

"Don't tell me how to do my job."

"But, you're not doing your job. If you were we'd be at that house by midnight so you could see what I'm talking about. They always come out between two and three in the morning when they think we're asleep. We put those huge stakes in the ground six months ago to try to keep them out. We've been on our own. You, people, are the ones who killed hope. If you had done your job and followed up on our reports you could have saved her life."

"We should go out there, Rich."

"Why, Frank, so he could kill us and take off? No way. He did it and I'm not letting him go. I have all the evidence to charge him and feed him to the wolves."

"Where is the murder weapon, Rich? He has no defense wounds. She doesn't have any of his skin under her nails. She didn't even fight back."

"He could've drugged her--killed her in her sleep. She may not have ever seen it coming."

Frank glanced at his watch and said, "It's a little after one. We could go out there tonight and put this to rest. If nothing happens I'll go with you on this. But, if he's telling the truth, man we have a bigger problem on our hands."

"Fine." Rich grabbed his jacket and told the guards to take Dave back to his cell. "Don't get comfortable. I'll be back in a few."


"You have no idea what lies ahead of you." The guard dragged him down the long hallway to a door that led to a room of stacked cells of hopeless souls. They all screamed their demands while confession their innocence. "He's going out there to prove me wrong. But, he'll end up like Hope. You'll see. You'll all see."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.