Friday, January 8, 2016

Stand On Your Feet

"Chelsea, what are you doing here? I thought you were going to talk to your parents."

©LiteraryJunkie
"My parents don't talk. All they do is fight with each other and project their anger on me when the other is not around. I can't reason with people like that."

"But, you know what's going to happen if you don't make things right."

"Yeah, I know. But, what can I do about it? They don't listen to reasoning. I made one mistake, Mrs. White. Just one, and now they want to send me away. Well, I don't care anymore. If they don't want me then I don't want to be stuck with them."

"The accident was unfortunate for everyone involved. Thank God that poor woman survived. You understand you were wrong. But, if you continue to run away from home without facing your parents they will send you to New Life Institution." The old woman hung her head low. Her worry lines had become more prominent each passing day. "I never should've sent my Cynthia to that place. She was a typical teen testing the waters of how much she could get away with. I didn't know what to do at the time and I gave up. I trusted those people with my only child and they sent her home to me in a body bag."

Chelsea touched the woman's trembling hand. "It's not your fault."

"Yes, it was our fault as parents. We gave up on her. We should've taken the time to get to know her--relate to her. We should've had more patience with her. Please, go to your parents and sit down with them. Tell them their constant fighting drove you to make a horrible decision when you stole their car. Tell them you were only trying to get away from their fighting and screaming. Tell them you're sorry, Chelsea. Just do whatever it takes for to stay home. You'll be eighteen in a year and then you can legally move out. If things get too hard you know where to find me. Please, do this for me, Chelsea."

She stood from the small booth and placed her hands on the door handle of the glass door. "Fine, I'll do it for you."

Mrs. White grabbed her chest with a great sigh. "Thank you, Dear. Thank you." She collapsed in Chelsea's warm seat and wept so loudly it stopped the young girl in her tracks.

It wasn't an unusual cry. But, she always waited in the dark for the woman to get her cry out and stand on her feet. They both always waited for the other to stand on their feet before they carried on with life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.