Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Newbridge Community

©LiteraryJunkie
"Our city was growing fast. We banded together. We were a family. There weren't any crimes committed against us or by any of our people. Our businesses thrived and our children were ahead in their education."

"What happened that night?"

"It was the middle of the night and we were asleep when they attacked us."

"Who is they?"

"I wish I had a name to give you. All I know is what happened. Someone bombed us. It wasn't a ghost. We didn't make it up in our heads. You saw the damage."

"Yes, we did and we're very sorry. Do you have anything you could give me?"

"It was a huge plane. Wasn't like a regular commercial plane. It looked gray or black--dark color with a star on each wing of the plane. I heard the bombs and I jumped out of bed and looked out the window. They dropped from the belly of the plane. That huge hole used to be residential areas. My mother had a tiny little yellow house with a small white picket fence. She was so cliche. She had to have a house with a white picket fence. My brother and his lovely wife lived down the street from my mom. They had two children. But, I lived downtown in a condo. I had to be different. I needed my space from everyone. Now they are gone and I'm left here all alone. Do you get what I am telling you? Whoever did this knew exactly where they could do the most damage."

"A star on the bottom of each wing you say?"

"Yes." She cleared the tears from her eyes to see the barrel of a gun pointed right between her eyes.

"You know too much," he said. "It wasn't personal. We had orders. We did what we were told to do. Think about it this way. You don't have to be here alone anymore." He pulled the trigger with a precision shot as if the woman was wearing a target on her forehead.

The once flourishing community that birthed geniuses, star athletes and countless professionals became nonexistent. The town's people abandoned their homes and careers after the bombs. Most of them were so afraid they changed their names to protect their family. But, it wasn't many. They took out the heart of the town and without the heart, it could not live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.