Sunday, January 24, 2016

Annual Barbecue

It was that time of year again. The entire neighborhood was there and all of our friends. The music was so loud it made the cutlery on the table rattle. People were dancing with unrestricted joy, moving and bouncing around. We were celebrating summer--being alive. 
©LiteraryJunkie

My boyfriend, Riley, was manning the grill, as always. He'd say, "Everyone was handed  a gift. Mine was grilling. If I can't do anything else, I can grill." So, that's what we did. Our house was the go-to place during the warm summer evenings.

Suddenly, the air was thick. I could hardly breathe. I could see everyone dancing and laughing, but I could not hear them. The world went still. I stood there, pointing up at a group of dark men falling from the sky like a thunderous storm upon us. 

The night turned into complete chaos. Those things came and took us down one by one. Then, there I was, standing face to face with this creature. He didn't make a sound. There was no way out. His head bobbed side to side with a blank stare. He raised his hand and with a deep inhale my eyes opened pulling be out of my nightmare.

"Are you okay," Riley asked.

"Oh thank goodness. I was only having a nightmare." She fell into his arms, resting her head on his chest. 

"It's okay, I'm right here. Nothing is going to happen. You just need to blow off some steam. You've been working too hard. Lucky for you, we have the barbecue tomorrow."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.