Thursday, December 17, 2015

Black Widow

Standing on what she called, the edge of the earth, Ona calmly recalled, "Sure, I loved them all. They each served their purpose. I married Rick right out of high school. He always knew how to make me laugh. Though, laughs couldn't pay the bills. Louis, on the other hand, showed me another side of life. Before him, I'd only traveled so far as thirty miles from my small hometown. But, even with the never ending pool of money, I was so unfulfilled. Frank knew how to make me feel like a woman. He was a pro at that." The corner of her thin lips slightly turned up. 

©LiteraryJunkie
"Frank sounds like the perfect guy---"

"Don't be so quick," Ona interjected. "Frank was a mean drunk. The last night he was on this earth he attacked me. That was my last straw with him. I didn't want to suffer through that for a year. He had to go. That brings us to Michael," she took a deep breath. "Now he was my perfect man. He was smart, handsome, full of laughs, and loaded. I intended to spend the rest of my life with him. At least I thought I could. For a moment in time he made forget who I was. But, I'm not that woman. I could barely be with a man for a year. There's no way I could give him a lifetime. You see, vows don't mean anything to me. They're just words. So, handcuff me. I killed them all and if you don't arrest me I'll kill again."

"But why," the man asked, with concerned eyes. "Why do you do it?"

"You simply don't get it." She gripped the side of her black dress. "I've always said that I wasn't born with human emotions. I can't fully love. I can't connect with pain. I could see the life drain out of you right now and I wouldn't flinch. I wouldn't even shed a tear. I'm a monster in beautiful human form. While Rick was slowly dying I sat beside him and enjoyed a cup of tea. While Louis was dying I took my car to a local spa and made a day of it. As a matter of fact, it was one of my most peaceful days. While Michael was dying." She moved closer to the frightened man. "I stood over him so close I could feel his last breath upon mine. I think of that moment every night---helps me sleep. Do your job and handcuff me or walk away. The Q&A session is over." #LiteraryJunkie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.