Monday, February 17, 2014

The Case of the Ex

Zona flipped through the magazine as the clerk took her sweet time scanning each of her items.

"Zona Reed! It's been a long time."

"H-hello." She waved.

"How have you been?"

"I've been well."

"If you've been as good as you look. Life has been good to you. You look amazing my dear."

"You don't, what's up with this drastic change you've got going on, she replied grabbing her bags. 

"Here, I'll give you a hand with that."

"No, I'm okay. It was good to see you. Take care of yourself."

"I'll walk you outside. Our running into each other was perfect timing."

"How so? The last time we spoke you made it very clear how you felt about me."

"I had my reasons Zona."

"Yeah, reasons you could never explain to me!" She rolled her eyes and continued her stride through the parking lot.

"Wait Zona, I want to talk to you."

"What in the world do you need to talk to me about?"

"Why I ended things."

Zona chuckled, "Save it!"

"No, you don't understand. I need to do this. You're a very important person in my life. Please, hear me out."

"May I remind you the last thing you said to me was that you never wanted to see me again! That was over a year ago. At this point it's irrelevant. Walk away and let it go."

"You've never listened to anything. You're still a hot head." He didn't back off. No, he continued his pursuit to explain his decision.

A tall man emerged from the black car near Zona. "Is everything okay?"

"Quentin this is Jag. Jag this is Quentin, my husband."

"I knew you wouldn't be single for very long."

"No, he knew what kind of woman he had in me and he wasn't afraid to make it official. Now tell me why you followed me out here."

"Yeah, explain yourself."

"Hey calm down man. This doesn't have anything to do with you."

"It has everything to do with me when it comes to my family. I'll protect them by any means necessary."

"Is that a threat?"

"Only if you take it there."

Jag looked into Zona's big green eyes. He used to see so much love for him in those eyes. But, that was no more. He held her hand. "I followed you to tell you why I ended things. I knew it wouldn't be fair for me to hold on to you knowing my days were numbered."

"What are you talking about?"

"Zona, three years ago I was diagnosed with Cancer. That's why I never married you and why I ended our relationship. I didn't want you to shoulder such a burden. A week ago my doctor told me I only have about six more months left of my life on this beautiful earth."

Zona covered her mouth with her trembling hands. "Should I?" She gazed at Quentin.

He nodded and opened the back door of the car. 

"Jag, there's someone I'd like you to meet." She cuddled a little girl in her arms. "This is Noni. She'll be one in a few months."

"Is this your daughter?"

"She's our daughter Jag."

He coughed in attempt to catch his breathe. "I have a daughter?"

"Yes," Zona replied. 

Jag held his chest. Tears poured from his eyes. "You don't know how conflicted I've been feeling about not having someone to carry on my name or my legacy once I'm gone. Is she really my daughter?"

"Yes, I found out the day you ended our relationship. I never told you because you said you never wanted to see me again. Then a few months after that I met Quentin. Once he got past my growing stomach our connection was undeniable. He's been an angel from day one. I never thought I'd find someone who'd love me so much. He has taken great care of us."

"Thank you." Jag shook his hand. 

"It's been my pleasure. Would you like to follow us home so you could spend a little time with your daughter?"

"I'd love that," he replied with a smile as he watched Zona and Quentin embrace with Noni in the middle. "Wow, life is so unpredictably crazy," he whispered rolling behind the happy family.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.