Sunday, July 7, 2013

Love and Dreams




Layla sat on the edge of the bed and placed her small glass of water on the nightstand.  She wept into the hands cupped over her face.

“Baby, are you crying again?”

“I’m sorry, did I wake you?”

“No, it’s okay. I’m up now. Talk to me,” Ryan said.

Layla turned to her fianc√© and replied, “You should get some sleep. I’ll go into the den for a while.”
Ryan stood from the warm bed tailing his weeping lover. “I think we need to talk about this. It’s not healthy for you to still be crying about this. Besides, I only have an hour before I need to get ready for work.”

“Okay, fine let’s talk. We’ve been so strapped financially we haven’t been able to do anything. No fly by night trips, no exotic vacations, just nothing. I want you to really consider this move.”

Ryan rolled his eyes, “I’ve thought about it. I have my own reasons and I can’t move away right now. Please, trust me.”

“I don’t think you get it. I have dreams and goals for my life too. You’re not thinking about me. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.”

“For the record. You're saying a lot of me, me, me. But, yet you're saying I'm the one being unfair. Fine Layla, if this is what you need to do. I'll go with you. I just don’t want to see you crying every day.”

Layla embraced Ryan and covered his face with butterfly kisses. “Thank you baby, I love you so much,” she squealed.

Ryan strolled away to get ready for work. He had a lot on his mind now that he would be moving out of the country soon.

Layla did a little dance before hurrying to place a much needed call to accept the position of a lifetime. “This is only the beginning. I’m so freaking excited I can hardly stand it,” she spoke aloud after ending the call.

“Layla,” Ryan called out.

“Yes honey,” she hurried to his call.

“I want you to know I’m making a huge sacrifice for you. The fact that I will now have to close my practice and move out of the country for you is a lot for me to digest. My practice was just beginning to grow along with revenue. That was my dream. I’m giving up a lot for you. Don’t ever forget that.”

“I get it and I want you to know that I really---really appreciate you caring enough about me to do this. I love you Ryan and believe me, you won’t regret it.”

“Whatever you say,” he replied dressing in his blue collar shirt and khaki pants.

“Are you going to have this silly little attitude much longer? I’ve already accepted the job. There’s no turning back now.”

“Did you accept the job before I agreed to move?”

“No, I just accepted after you went to shower.”

“Wow,” he replied sliding on his brown Italian loafers to storm away. “Enjoy your day. I have a lot to do.”

Layla slid down the bathroom wall. She tucked her head between her knees and cried. “I’m not about to walked away from my dream. Why should I have to make all the sacrifices,” she sobbed. Layla crawled in the messy bed under the mountains of bedding and balled her eyes out until she finally fell asleep. She'd always used sleep as her feel better regimen and prayed it would work in this situation. Layla and Ryan had been engaged for three years. They'd never set a wedding date because the lovers couldn’t seem to get on the same page. Now, three years later, they were still fighting about who should make the sacrifice. Layla constantly wondered, how could two people stay together and both live out their dreams if their dreams are on the opposite side of the world? She prayed someone could give her the answer. But, time was running out. 

Layla jumped to her feet startled by the loud doorbell. “Who in the world is that,” she mumbled peeking through the small peephole. “Who’s there?"

“My name is Olivia,” the woman replied trying to quiet her fussy baby.

Layla cracked the door. “Could I help you?”

“We need to talk woman to woman. Could I come inside?”

“What is this all about?”

“Ryan,” the woman replied.

Layla looked into the woman's teary eyes and then looked at the green eyed baby boy and put two and two together. “There’s no need for you to come inside. I get it and you don’t need to worry about me being in the way or my taking Ryan away.” She slammed the door and hurried to pack her things. No explanation, no tears, and no regrets. Her question was finally answered. Could two people who have dreams build a life together if those dreams are on the opposite side of the world? “Not when one is a self-serving ass bastard,” she screamed only taking her clothes out to her car in preparation for her new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.