Monday, December 12, 2011

That's Life: Week Three


That's Life
Week Three

"Mom, I'm home," Denise yelled.

"I'm in the kitchen, come here honey," Pamela replied.

"Oh mom, that smells good." she hugged Pamela.

"Where is this new employer? I thought I would get to meet her today." Pamela wiped her hands and sat down at the dining table.

"I'm sorry mom, I didn't know."

"Well, I'm driving you over there tomorrow. I'll pick you up from school."

"Yes ma'am," Denise replied.

"Do you have homework?"

"Not tonight, " Denise replied and ran to answer the ringing phone. "Hello."

"Denise, this is Bridgette. You forgot your purse in my car. I'm turning the corner to come back to your house now."

"Good because my mom would like to meet you. If not, she will pick me up from school and I won't get to ride with you like we always do."

Bridgette laughed. "Parents love me and besides it was pretty rude of me to give you huge decision without youngest speaking with your mom. I'm walking up now."

Denise placed the phone back into it cradle. "Mom, Ms. Bridgette is here."

Pamela poked her head out the kitchen. "What did you say honey?"

"Mom, Ms. Bridgette is here. I left my purse and she had to bring it back. You can meet her now." Denise opened the door. "Come in."

Pamela gazed at this mystery woman. "Hi, my name is Bridgette Ontario."

"Ontario," Pamela repeated. "You look so familiar but I can't put my finger on it."

Bridgette smiled. "Well, I would remember you if we've met before."

"Well, have a seat." Pamela moved her purse and sweater off the sofa. "I apologize for the mess. I had to hurry and cook dinner for my baby before it got too late."

"Oh, it's not a problem at all. I completely understand. There's been many days I couldn't even fathom the thought cleaning," Bridgette replied.

"Well, you don't have to clean if you don't want to. You have a maid," Denise replied,

"Umm, I forgot about that." Pamela looked away. "Pamela, you sure have done a great job with this little lady. She's got a very bright future ahead of her. That's why I felt the need to offer her this position. Not only will it allow her structure in a working atmosphere and for her to also feel a sense of accomplishment earning her own money."

"All that is fine and dandy but Denise is a straight A student. I just don't want anything to interfere with that. She only has one more year left and I'm counting on her grades to get her a much needed scholarship." Pamela held her hands up. "I don't know if you notice but take a look around Ms. Ontario, we aren't as well off as you appear to be."

"What makes you think I'm that we'll of," Bridgette replied.

"Well, let's see. You are paying my baby two hundred dollars a day. Your driving you little red sports car. You looked uncomfortable when Denise mentioned you have a maid, which only leaves me to believe your very well of but your humble."

"Well, yes I am very well off. But, I would never interfere with Denise's education. Actually I didn't want to say anything yet but I am creating a scholarship with this program and Denise will be the first person to be awarded. I was going to tell you another time in another way but right now I feel it's necessary for me to give you all the details." Pamela stood and reverted to her business mode. "This scholarship will pay everything for four years and if she decides to continue her education she's eligible for four more years."

Pamela held her hands over her mouth. "Are you serious," She asked.

"Very serious, Mrs. Wilson," Bridgette replied.

"Oh no, it's Ms. Wilson. Hey, would you like to stay for dinner. I'd love to chat with a little longer."

"Could I take a rain check," Pamela replied. "I have a sick little one at home I must attend to and not to mention my dad's roaming the house."

"Oh, well, maybe another time. It was a pleasure to meet you and thank you again."
Bridgette nodded. "I would like to invite you two over for dinner Friday night if you'd like."

"Thank would be nice," Pamela replied.

"Well, Denise will already be there, so as soon as get off work just come on over."

"I'll do that. You have a safe ride home." Pamela waved goodbye from her porch. "Oh, I feel like I'm dreaming honey."

"We've got to get the details so you can start deciding where you want to go to college."

"Mom, I don't know if I want to go to college," Denise replied.

"What the heck do you mean, you don't know. We've talked about this many times. You don't have a choice young lady."

“Mom, I just don’t think I will need college to be successful. Bridgette didn’t go to college and look at her. You should see her house. She has it all. Why would I waste my time with school when I don’t have to,” Denise replied waving her arms.

“I don’t even know why I’m arguing with you. This is not even something that’s up for debate. Clean the dishes and go to bed when you’re done.”

“Mom, I’ll be graduating this year from high school. So, this is my decision and I’m not going to college.”

Bridgette grabbed her purse from the end table and stormed to her room. “You think you’re grown. I’ll show your little behind grown. Damn kids are just so ungrateful,” she mumbled slamming her bedroom door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Please share with your friends.